Sometimes it’s hard to watch the growth of the liberal mindset. It’s like trying to potty train your kid. I swear. Over at the AP they state, from some source, the reason the Russians were so worked up over the family was they had a wiretap going on terrorist cells inside Russia. In those wiretaps they caught the Tsaraneva family talking about Jihad. The older brother and the MOTHER talking! Talk about Ma Parker, Jihad style! Jeeezz..
Now the AP is upset the Russians didn’t share how they knew. I think it was quite proper that the Russians didn’t share. Why? Because unlike in Russia, our police and politicians and press can’t keep their freaking mouths shut!! How do I know. I read THIS article!!
Russian authorities secretly recorded a telephone conversation in 2011 in which one of the Boston bombing suspects vaguely discussed jihad with his mother, officials said Saturday, days after the U.S. government finally received details about the call.
In another conversation, the mother of now-dead bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev was recorded talking to someone in southern Russia who is under FBI investigation in an unrelated case, officials said.
The conversations are significant because, had they been revealed earlier, they might have been enough evidence for the FBI to initiate a more thorough investigation of the Tsarnaev family.
As it was, Russian authorities told the FBI only that they had concerns that Tamerlan and his mother were religious extremists. With no additional information, the FBI conducted a limited inquiry and closed the case in June 2011.
Two years later, authorities say Tamerlan and his brother, Dzhohkar, detonated two homemade bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing three and injuring more than 260. Tamerlan was killed in a police shootout and Dzhohkar is under arrest.
The Russians are running a wiretap on a terrorists cell linked the Chechnya. The Chechens have a bad habit of killing Russian- en masse. If the Russians have an active line working, giving them actionable intel, they have NO obligation to screw that up just to make our civil liberties happy. It’s Russia! Things are different there. Jeezzzz…..
(Think our FBI back when they wiretapped the Mafia here and how secret and long term it was. Now imagine Russia’s lack of rules. This was a courtesy call.)
As I see it, here’s how it goes.
1. Russians are working a cell that is going active and is going to harm someone at some time.
2. They are professionals doing a difficult job- a secret job.
3. They get a line on the Tsaraneva family talking about committing Jihad. Which according to CAIR simply means they are going on a struggle, but for the rest of us means they are going to kill people.
4. The Russians take the time to compile this information and send it up their chain of command. No small feat. Their bureaucracy is as bad as ours, PLUS if you screw up here you may be a bad evaluation, but if you screw up there you may end up in the Siberian field office! That took some real effort on their part.
(The Americans complain the Russians don’t share. Now the Russians can complain we act like idiots when they do.)
5. They give us the information.
6. We take the information, push it down our bureaucracy and get it out to the FBI.
7. The FBI, now under Obama’s DOJ and Holder, “sees” terrorism differently.
8. They investigate, which means run a limited 30 day review of the older bomber, talk to his mother (who is PART OF THE TERRORIST PLOT) and basically warn them that we think they are planning something. Now, if the family went “dark” there would be plenty to be upset about then. How stupid of a policy and procedure is it that if a foreign nation tell us they are worried, our police reaction is to tell the suspects we are watching. ……Jeezzzz HOW STUPID!!
9. But it gets better. The family didn’t stop. It increased its stereotypical activities. The family left the country. The older brother became publicly radicalized. His wife converted. He had outbursts. His online traffic radicalized. He WENT TO A TERRORIST NATION!! And WE KNEW!!!
10. But because of policy and procedure, developed by liberal and ideologues- heavily influenced by Islamic agencies like CAIR- our law enforcement did not react. Oh, they KNEW, they just looked at the checked boxes and saw under Obama’s worldview, this family was not a terrorist family. Again, PC is killing us- literally sometimes.
11. The Russians were aghast! They tried to tell us again. This time the CIA because the CIA understands this kind of “keep it secret” thing better.
I kept asking this question: Why this specific person. Not a cell, not chatter, not traffic, THIS GUY. That’s not an accident. Imagine you are a cop in a city. A neighboring city’s police intel department, one you respect for its talents, calls you up and says “Hey Joe, listen we got a line of one of your people- Harold Jihad. Now we believe from our sources Harold is going to rob a bank. We don’t know which one, but we know he’s planning on robbing one and probably soon.” If you ask where they got the information and they say, “I can’t tell you but it is solid.” You have to act on faith a little. The other guys are better at this than you. It is a mistake to ignore them.
You can do several things now. What you don’t do is go to the guy’s house and tell him we know what he’s planning. You don’t pull him in or even let him know you are watching. What you do is set up surveillance on him. You follow him around to see where he is going and who he is meeting. If you can, you troll his Internet usages to see if you get hits on things like “How to break into a bank safe” or “Ten best ways to rob a bank”. With that you dig around and find out who his friends are. If they are a duo called Bonnie and Clyde, you may want to up your game a tad.
13. But no, The FBI closed the file. The brothers, along with others, planned the attack. Got training, collected material, etc. all not under the watchful eye of the feds.
And the AP wonders why the Russians didn’t share more. THAT’S what got their attention.
Oh, BTW I don’t think momma’s coming back- willingly. If the Russians gave up the wiretap, that means they are done with it and can give the tapes over to the feds here. Can you imagine momma, who went Jihad, explaining to the feds the conversations to the cell in Russia? People have gone to prison for far less. And I’m sure they’ll have more soon.